For the last year, I’ve watched and listened as the amazing The Bible in a Year podcast project unfolded at Ascension Press. Last week, I had the great joy of attending a press conference which not only shared the phenomenal success of the project but announced three major “next step” projects that will build upon the momentum made in the last several months. One thing that struck me while listening to the key players in this project talk was the humility they have about this work and the way it has impacted them personally in their own spiritual lives. I’ve had the great joy of meeting and working with Fr. Mike Schmitz and Jeff Cavins in the past and know that they truly “walk the talk”. I can’t help but think that the amazing success of The Bible in a Year is happening because the project is the work of these two committed shepherds.
What’s “The Bible in a Year” Podcast?
The Bible in a Year podcast, which launched with introductory episodes in late 2020, features Fr. Mike Schmitz reading through Ascension’s entire Great Adventure Catholic Bible in 365 episodes, providing commentary, reflection, and prayer along the way. Scripture scholar and Bible Timeline Learning System creator Jeff Cavins is the featured guest of the podcast. Since its debut, the podcast has been topping charts at Apple Podcasts, both in its own spirituality categories and among all podcasts.
At the press conference, Ascension Press shared three exciting upcoming projects that have sprung from the success of The Bible in a Year:
- A New Year’s Eve billboard in Times Square promoting the podcast at 7th Ave & 48th St, New York City (Dec 19, 2021 – Jan 9, 2022)
- La Biblia en un año Podcast:The launch of an all-new Spanish-language version of the Bible in a Year podcast with original commentary and a new, native-Spanish speaking host (Jan 1, 2022)
- “The Bible in a Year Retreat” Virtual Event for Bible in a Year listeners designed to help Catholics cultivate a lifelong relationship with the Word of God – one that extends far beyond the podcast. (limited capacity; Feb 18 – 20, 2022)
It’s Not Too Late:
If this is the first you’re hearing about The Bible in a Year Podcast, the great news is that it’s not too late to get started on your own path to spending a year with the Bible. If you can’t do it daily, why not carve out 20 minutes one day per week and just go at your own pace? Once you listen for the first time, I think you’ll find that unlike trying to read the Bible cover to cover on your own, Fr. Mike and Jeff will make this experience so fun and interesting that you’ll be hooked! Their unique storytelling format to working through the sacred scriptures makes this a less overwhelming goal than following a paper reading plan.Check out all of the big Bible in a Year news from @AscensionPress @ @frmikeschmitz @JeffCavins at @LisaHendey's blog and make "Read the Bible" a reality in your own life. Click To Tweet
Connect with The Bible in a Year:
- Website: The Bible in a Year (with Fr. Mike Schmitz)™ featuring Jeff Cavins
- Facebook: @AscensionPress
- Twitter: @AscensionPress
- Instagram: @catholicfaithformation