Did you have an awesome week? Mine flew by with a bonus mini-trip to San Diego with my awesome hubby and a little “home decorating” (check my video below). In other news, I’ve decided to devote myself to learning Spanish, and I’m going to be overcoming my fear of embarrassment by sharing one or two phrases per day on my Instagram feed. I’ll be embarking on a special trip in 2019 that has me super motivated. While I can understand quite a lot of this beautiful language, my fear of humiliation has kept me from actually trying to speak it. To learn along with me, check out the Duolingo app and follow me on Instagram @LisaHendey.
And now, on to this week’s awesomeness!
Sharing it first so I don’t forget!
- On the Son Rise Morning Show, host Anna Mitchell and I discussed a new craze that’s hitting my neighborhood and big cities nationwide: e-scooters. Find out how we took a faith-based perspective on these zippy tools and listen to our conversation at http://catholicmom.com/2018/07/06/tech-talk-e-scooters-safety-and-laudato-si/
- My “Lisa Hendey & Friends” podcast guest this week was communicator Bill Schmitt, who joined me for a conversation on “When Headlines Hurt”. Catch the show at https://lisahendey.com/podcast/2018/07/12/lisa-hendey-friends-episode-19-bill-schmitt-when-headlines-hurt/ and subscribe at iTunes or your favorite podcast source
- I appeared as a guest on Relevant Radio’s Morning Air for a chat about this article on how I’m enjoying using MoviePass, but what I’ve learned about selecting films. Listen to my segment here.
- Danielle and I chatted about Self Care on the most recent CMCast – listen along at http://catholicmom.com/2018/07/11/self-care-for-moms-016/
Other People’s Stuff:
Pope Francis has appointed the Most Reverend Oscar Cantú as Coadjutor Bishop of San Jose, California. Learn more at the USCCB website.
At his Instagram feed, Jared Dees has been running a daily bible study on the Beatitudes – find it here: https://www.instagram.com/jareddees/ – These daily prompts for prayer and activities with your family truly capture the spirit of the gospel. Thanks, Jared!
Speaking of Instagram, you’ll notice that all of the cool kids are now letting you ask them questions via a new feature on the app. To learn how to let people ask YOU questions check out https://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-instagrams-new-questions-feature-1827512704
This week, we celebrated the feast of St. Benedict. Grotto Network wins the Internet for sharing not only an insightful bio of the saint, but also a totally awesome Spotify playlist: http://grottonetwork.com/keep-the-faith/community/who-was-st-benedict/
- My friends at Unbound have announced their upcoming Awareness trips for 2019 – you can find all of the itineraries at https://www.unbound.org/BottomMenu/Trips. As I mentioned in a recent Tweet, “My #UnboundAdventure journeys with @UnboundOrghave forever changed my life and the way I encounter the world around me. Please consider taking one of these trips and please consider the gift of Unbound sponsorship. I can’t say enough about the good your small contribution does.”
- Lots of us do #MeatlessFriday meals and Barb @FranciscanMom has an awesome budget friendly seafood roll on her blog at https://cookandcount.wordpress.com/2018/07/07/budget-friendly-seafood-rolls/ that looks like a delicious summer family meal!
- Registration is open for this year’s C3 Tech Conference, hosted by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. If you’re a communicator who uses technology for education, ministry or even personal evangelization, check out this excellent opportunity at http://www.la-archdiocese.org/org/c3/Pages/default.aspx
- To celebrate the feast of St. Kateri, EWTN is showing “In Her Footsteps: The Story of Kateri Tekakwitha” this weekend. Learn more at http://www.ewtn.com/wings/2018/071218.htm
Here’s one of my favorite tweets of the week, from my friend @HitByHeaven:
— Hit by Heaven (@HitByHeaven) July 7, 2018
New on My Bookshelf:
My favorite read this week was Unveiling: A Novel from Suzanne Wolfe and Paraclete Press. If you can’t get to Rome this summer, take a little armchair trip with this compelling story of love, pain, healing and art history.
I received the following titles for review this week from publishers and in most cases have not yet reviewed them but am happy to share new titles. The links here are Amazon affiliate links – I will earn a small commission on any purchase you make and thank you for your support of my work.
- Victorious Secret: Everyday Battles and How to Win Them by Laura Mary Phelps (Our Sunday Visitor)
- Fill These Hearts by Christopher West (Image Catholic Books)
- Would You Baptize An Extraterrestrial? by Guy Consolmagno SJ and Paul Mueller SJ (Image Catholic Books)
- The Evangelizing Parish by Francis Cardinal Arinze (Ignatius Press)
Life and Love: Opening Your Heart’s Desire to God’s Design by Terry Polakovic (Our Sunday Visitor)
To recommend something that’s awesome, leave a comment below or use hashtag #watwlisa to @lisahendey on Instagram or Twitter.